Sunday, October 29, 2006

Briefer Still


Here´s what I´ve got:

This past week we had my favorite tech session so far. With a current bee keeper, we all managed to Capture a Wild Bee hive (a Trasiego). It was really amazing. With the 7 of us huddled around a tree stump, we transferred all of the comb into a waiting ¨nuc¨ box by sewing the comb into appropriate top bars. We searched for the queen, but came up with nothing. We left the box there hoping that the bees would move into a new home, and they did. It was really a great class (one like I´ve never had). This is the way which I will most likely be attaining more bee hives once I enter the field. What a treat.

We had classes this week about the Machismo factor in Paraguay and how to properly deflect attention, let it be as a male or a female. Current volunteers came to our headquarters to give us an idea of what to expect. There were stories of past volunteers having parents offer their daughters as wives very seriously over a dinner; other stories were about the attention females will surely attract and how to handle it appropriately; tips on what to say when talk with the ¨hombres¨ begins. At times funny, others a little uncomfortable, it was all good to know.

This past week at the local Capilla (chapel) I helped with another childrens class and taught Red Rover. Trying to explain the rules and monitor a group of 11 or so Spanish/Guarani speaking children was a challenge, but I think they got the gist of it. Good laughs all around.

We had a day to learn how to properly prepare soy. In smaller groups, we travelled to different houses to cook various dishes. Soy empanadas, soy burgers, soy milk, and soy desert was a bit too much Soy for me by the end, but a good chance to catch up with other trainees and get a better sense of the kitchen.

Another beekeeper is keeping a blog here: BBanwo.blogspot.com
He uploaded some videos of all of us being chased out of the hives, some trainees cooking, and spending time at a local headquarters. Hopefully it will help you get a better idea of what we´re doing, but I apologize in advance for the language and certain camera zooms (you´ll know if you watch).

I´m still healthy, living the good life with my family, making some real friendships with other trainees and learning a lot. Thanks for reading and for the ongoing support. Hope to hear from you all soon.

Casey

Picture 1: Me walking through ITA with a Friend of mine named Nestor (my Paraguayan Cousin a host brother to another trainee)
Picture 2: My school where I have language classes and tech training most days.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home